- Home >
Effective Date: November 21, 2008
Welcome to the laspromise.org website (the "Site") which is owned and operated by L.A.'s Promise, a California non-profit corporation ("LAP" or "we"). The purpose of this Policy is to inform you as to: (1) what information we may collect from or about you, and how we collect and use such information; (2) how we may share such information with third parties; and (3) your rights and choices regarding such information. This Policy is an integral part of the User Agreement for the Site.
PLEASE READ THIS POLICY CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SITE. By using the Site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand this Policy in its entirety, and agree to be bound by its terms. If you are a parent or legal guardian of a minor (i.e., a person under the age of 18), you understand and acknowledge that use of the Site by such minor is subject to this Policy.
The Site is not designed or intended for children under the age of 13, and LAP does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. We urge parents and guardians to spend time online with their children and to participate in and monitor the online activities of their children.
CHANGES AND UPDATES
We reserve the right to change and update this Policy at any time in our sole discretion. For example, we may amend this Policy to incorporate additional rules and policies as may be established by LAP from time to time, and/or to comply with or adopt any changes in law or industry practices. If we make changes and updates to this Policy, we will announce and post such changes and updates on the Site for the general public. If you have provided your email address to LAP, we may also notify you of such changes and updates via email. By continuing to use the Site after such notice, you signify your affirmative consent and agreement to all changes and updates of which you have been given notice.
COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
1. Personal Information . This refers to a user's personally identifiable information, such as first and last name, telephone number, email address, mailing address, birth date, and credit card information. Although you may use and access most areas on the Site without having to disclose any personal information, in limited circumstances (described below) we do ask you to provide your personal information. To the extent you disclose your personal information to us, we will only use such information for the purposes for which it was disclosed by you.
(a) Online Donation: If you wish to make a donation to LAP on the Site, you will be asked to disclose your full name, birth date (for age verification), mailing address, email address, and credit card information, and we will use such information to process your donation and communicate with you regarding your donation (e.g., sending you confirmation and receipt via mail or email, informing you via mail or email about projects and programs funded with your donation, etc.). By making a donation on the Site, you authorize us to store and maintain your personal information as disclosed by you (except for your credit card information which will not be retained after the processing of the transaction is complete) as part of our donor records.
(b) Electronic Mailing Lists: If you wish to join our electronic mailing lists, you will be asked to provide your email address, and we will use such email to send you electronic newsletters, publications, announcements, notices, and other communications from LAP (subject to your right to opt out as described below).
(c) Email Contacts: If you make an inquiry or request to us via email, we will collect and use your email address to communicate with you regarding your inquiry or request. Also, by contacting us via email, you will automatically be entered onto our electronic mailing lists (subject to your right to opt out as described below).
2. Log File Data and Cookie Session Information. Our web server automatically generates log files that may contain data linked to individual users, such as their IP addresses, ISP domain names, browser types, operating systems, referring/exit pages, date/time stamps, clickstream data, etc. Also, to the extent a visitor has enabled "cookies" in his/her browser, we may use "cookies" to collect session information about users’ visits to the Site, including tracking their path through the Site and where they came from (for example, if they arrive via a search engine). We use log file data and cookie session information internally for the operation of the Site as well as to generate and analyze aggregate data about our users as a group. If we report information about the Site to our partners, sponsors and investors, we only report aggregate data and do not knowingly report log file data or cookie session information that is linked to individual users.
3. Aggregate Data. This is any information collected or compiled in aggregate form, without identifying any user individually. For example, we may collect aggregate tracking information derived mainly from tallying page views throughout the Site. Also, we may gather or compile demographic and/or other aggregate data about our users as a group. We use aggregate data to administer and monitor the Site, to analyze Site traffic and usage patterns and trends, to improve the functionality of the Site, and to enable us to personalize and better users' experience on the Site. We may report aggregate data about the Site to our partners, sponsors and investors, and may also share such data with outside vendors for market analysis, marketing and/or promotional purposes.
SHARING OF INFORMATION ABOUT YOU WITH THIRD PARTIES
As a general matter, we do not share your personal information with others, except in the following limited circumstances.
(a) We may employ outside contractors, vendors and service providers to perform services for us or for the Site, and may share your personal information with such contractors, vendors and service providers to the extent necessary for them to perform such services. For example, if you make a donation to us using your credit card, our credit card processing vendors will be given access to your credit card and other personal information for purposes of processing your donation. As another example, our IT service providers may be given access to your personal information as necessary to perform support or maintenance for the operation of the Site, such as data backup and storage. We require that our contractors, vendors and service providers limit their use of our users' personal information solely to the purposes for which it was disclosed by us, and that they maintain the confidentiality, security and integrity of such information and not make any further disclosure to others.
(b) We may disclose your personal information to third parties if doing so is required by law or in response to a court or government order or subpoena or, in our good faith belief, is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce this Policy and/or the User Agreement; (c) respond to third-party infringement claims relating to any information or material you furnish to us; (d) respond to an emergency; or (e) protect the rights, property or safety of LAP, the Site, and/or the public.
(c) If LAP is acquired by or merged with or into another entity, or if all or substantially all of our assets are transferred to another entity, your personal information may be transferred to such entity as part of the transaction, and that entity and its affiliates may use your personal information under the terms of their own privacy policies which may differ from this Policy.
USER CHOICES AND OPT-OUT
1. Donor Information. If you have made a donation to LAP, you may request to access, update, correct and delete your personal information from our donor records, by contacting us at:
1035 S. Grand Ave., 2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Tel: (213) 745-4928
Fax: (213) 745-8063
For your safety, we reserve the right to verify, prior to processing your request, that you are indeed the donor on file.
2. Electronic Mailings. If you are on our electronic mailing lists, you may opt out of such lists at any time by emailing us at email@example.com, or by using the "opt out" or "unsubscribe" mechanism provided in the electronic mailings you already received from us. We generally process such request within five-seven business days after our receipt thereof. Once you opt out, we will not reuse your email address unless you rejoin our mailing lists or otherwise opt in to receive electronic communications from us.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
We at LAP understand the importance of protecting the security and integrity of personal information that our users have shared with us. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet and no data storage can be 100% secure. Consequently, while we will endeavor to safeguard your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure, we do not warrant or guarantee the security of any information you transmit to, from or on the Site. We will notify you in the event we become aware of a breach or suspected breach of the security of your personal information stored by us.
All credit card information provided by you in connection with a donation made on the Site will be protected by encryption using the standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol, and we do not retain your credit card information after the processing of the transaction is complete.
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS – YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
As a nonprofit, LAP does not disclose your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. California residents may request an information-sharing disclosure from us by emailing your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that, under the law, we are not required to respond to your request more than once in a calendar year, nor are we required to respond to any requests that are not sent to the above-designated email address.
If you have any questions regarding this Policy or our privacy practices, please contact us at:
1035 S. Grand Ave., 2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Tel: (213) 745-4928
Fax: (213) 745-8063